How we learn
FROM MY BASE in Cornwall i teach to suit all levels of photography. Tuition can take place here at my home studio and large outdoor greenspace or various locations around Devon and Cornwall. Whether you are just starting out in photography or looking to advance your skill my flexible approach and relaxed style will help you enjoy your day with ease.
THE DAY As with all my teaching we will start with a discussion on individual goals, followed by either a studio or field workshop where I am available for advice throughout the day.
FIELD DAYS Easy and informal and taught at a pace that you feel comfortable with. Whether you are just starting out, looking to improve your current skill, or even an advanced shutterbug. At stunning locations throughout Devon or Cornwall carefully chosen to inspire your creativity. Practical and technical advice with individual guidance and hands on demonstration in the field will contribute to developing your creative side.
ONE-2-ONE You get my undivided attention. Ideal if you prefer a more individual approach to tuition where you and I work alone.
GROUP TUITION (4 students minimum) Teaching a small group will ensure “that you are not lost in the crowd”. These workshops are an ideal way to obtain invaluable photography knowledge in a relaxed atmosphere with likeminded individuals. You are all here to achieve the same goal, learn new skills and have some fun along the way! Also a great value way to learn as the cost for this tuition is lower than my one-2-one.
1. ESSENTIAL CAMERA SKILLS If you looking to start out in photography or just bought a Mirrorless, DSLR, Compact or Bridge camera then this is where we begin. Starting with the basics, (switching the camera on and off!, only joking as I am sure you all know how to do this!) Understanding the controls, how to set up and customise your camera and just get you shooting confidently. I can offer chargeable hire for the use of a DSLR and Lens should you not have one as yet. Or maybe your friend or partner would like to join you but does not have their own.
2. STUCK ON AUTO? Need to understand more and better yourself with your camera? Then you will love this workshop. Here you will gain confidence to get off auto and start to understand aperture, shutter-speed and manual modes. Understanding composition rules allowing to take more control of your images and be more creative.
3. SPEED-LIGHTING Here we will get to grips with how to add off-camera flash set ups with one or multiple flash guns. How to deal with harsh midday sun and the ability to create beautiful images with fill flash and ambient light. Understand how to freeze motion with flash.
4. MACRO AND CLOSE-UP. This area of photography opens up a whole new look on the world and what is around us. Tiny creatures and insects, flowers, surfaces and textures reveal detail that will just enthral you and blow your mind. Understanding the differences between a true 1:1 macro lens, a lens with macro facility and the use of extension tubes.
5. ACTION PHOTOGRAPHY. For those looking to learn or improve their wildlife or sports photography and anything that moves fast. Learn how to freeze motion, understand panning and time delay to create those action shots that give a sense of movement in a still image.
6. POST DIGITAL EDITING. You can shoot in JPEG or RAW mode to capture the digital data and from here you can manipulate the image within a software package. Canon they recommend that you use their own “DPP” software. I do use and advocate the use of this, however my preferred and most used is CC ADOBE LIGHTROOM. It is of my opinion and along many Pro and Amateur photographers around the world “the software to use.” I have extensive knowledge of this software and able to teach you my knowledge, tricks and tips for all versions. Of course there are other excellent editing suites available but I am very comfortable with these two.
NOTES ON WORKSHOPS: The cart below is currently under development, would you kindly email me here at email@example.com with you enquiry then I will contact you shortly with more information.. thank you….Nick